The course, composed by theoretical lessons and individual practice training, is aimed at providing the basic notions for the qualitative and quantitative determination of substances of pharmaceutical interest. In particular, during the practical training attention will be focused on the qualitative analysis and quantitative determination of inorganic compounds of pharmaceutical interest.
Knowledge of general and inorganic chemistry
1. Introduction to qualitative analysis. Organoleptic analysis. Solvent-free analysis: combustion and flame test.
2. Safety and first aid procedures in the laboratory. Symbols, risk and safety phrases. Hazard chemicals handling procedures. Lab notebook.
3. Basic laboratory techniques and operations: solubilisation, dilution, concentration, precipitation, filtration, centrifugation, solubility.
4. Stoichiometry, redox reactions, equilibrium in solution, acids and bases, solubility product, coordination compounds.
5. Qualitative analysis in aqueous solution: identification of cations belonging to groups I-VI, analysis of anions, analysis of acid insoluble residue..
6. Application of solvent-free assays and analysis in aqueous solution to the identification of unknown inorganic samples.
1. Introduction to quantitative analysis. Sampling. Experimental error: error types, precision and accuracy, standard deviation. Significant digits.
2. Primary standards and titration. Gravimetric and volumetric analysis.
3. Lab equipment and instrumentation: the analytical balance, burettes, pipettes, volumetric flasks.
4. Acid-base titration. Analysis of the titration curve: indicator choice, potenziometric determination of the final point. Non-acqueous titration.
5. Complexometric and redox titrations.
ARANEO: “Chimica analitica qualitativa. Nuovo metodo periodale”, Ambrosiana Ed. BARBETTI HOGNESS, JOHNSON, ARMSTRONG “Analisi qualitativa ed equilibrio chimico”, Piccin Ed. HARRIS D.C., “Chimica Analitica Quantitativa”, Zanichelli Ed
Theory classes and practical sessions in the laboratory
Practical in itinere evaluations and written exam.